Reading While Knitting

Nothing complicated; nothing too exciting, but yes, I do knit while I read. As well as during many other domestic activities.

Friday, June 16, 2006

Sweet as Ice Cream

Amy's use of the word "reveal" reminded me of how insidiously television has worked its way into our lives. Seeking some non-mediated experience (actually, hoping to escape a very hot house and catch a spare breeze or two, while taking pictures to make a party invitation), we headed to the local beach after dinner. We've been beaching and laking lately, so today we did estuary.

I kept putting Thing 4 down because I wanted a shot of her ambling off into the sunset, and realized too late that, as Eric said, I'd created a monster. She crawled into the water. She walked into the water. She did everything but cartwheel into the water. Her siblings were already neck-deep, which is a feat, given how shallow the water is, but they're steadier on two pins than she is.

They all also got tan lines, even though we were at the water at 6:30 pm. What is with this? Good skin or global warming?

Pictures taken, kids thoroughly wet, we headed home where I sewed the second button onto what has become known, thanks to Suzee, as "Neapolitan." While the colors are off in the picture, it's pink, white, and sort of an ecru. I promised the girls tank tops out of Sugar'n'Cream, and just sort of winged this one. Thing 2 has asked for one just like it, while Thing 1 has slightly different ideas. We'll see how they play out. If I finish them all in time, they're going to be my World Cup project.

For this one:


I am not wild about the gauge, but it's so cute I feel a sugar rush when I see it.

Front view, modeled:


And the back. The buttons are little rosebuds.


I'm contemplating knitting little lace-edged bloomers to go along with it. Stop me before I stick a bow to her head with Karo syrup!

8 Comments:

At 9:21 PM, Blogger suzee said...

Man, I have NEVER seen color that off, and as you know I struggle mightily with it!

It really is Neopolitan ice cream colored, readers! And ast S says, absolutely adorable, especially on its recipient!

 
At 2:01 AM, Blogger Rain said...

What a darling little girl. She looks so cute in her top.

 
At 9:08 PM, Blogger bfmomma said...

I can FINALLY see pics on blogger.

You have to do the bloomers! adorable... She's wonderful!

 
At 6:49 AM, Blogger amanda j said...

She might need a little hat to go with her bloomers. What a cutie pie. Come to Tasmania, you will know about global warming. I can't go outside for 20 minutes without burning. Get me away from Antarctica!

 
At 5:51 PM, Blogger Jennus Interruptus said...

Yikes! You post faster than I can keep up with you!
I'm all about the lifejackets - I actually wear them when I go to the pool (blush) as I have an irrational water fear and it's taking me wayyyy too long to learn to swim.

Hey, a baby picture! It makes me uneasy when you say you "winged it" on things that are far above my knitterly comprehension level. But good for you. Besides, you're right - that dress is better than all the fructose in the world....

 
At 11:06 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Most definitely very sweet! I did a play off of Katja this weekend and I'm planning on doing the ribbon thing to make it fit a bit longer as well.

 
At 4:06 PM, Blogger String Bean said...

Too cute! I love the rosebud buttons.

 
At 10:46 AM, Blogger allisonmariecat said...

That dress is so cute, my voice would do that high squeaky thing if I told you in person how cute it was!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Web Site Counter
Online Colleges