Reading While Knitting

Nothing complicated; nothing too exciting, but yes, I do knit while I read. As well as during many other domestic activities.

Thursday, October 23, 2008

More garden distractions



Not all of us find puttering in the garden equally compelling. Do you see the structures behind me, on the browning (some day to be a wheat-and-potato field) lawn? Do a youtube search for "parkour" and see what the middle Things have been designing out back --their own course!



A teensy patch of bush beans. These are still an experiment. In fact, a lot of this feels faintly experimental. I worry that the exposed soil really needs mulching, that the sand percolates water through it too quickly, that mulching is hard on tiny plantlets, that I will never figure out how to transplant tiny seedlings at a properly deep level, so they aren't flopping about like my children when asked to perform domestic labor, and that there's just too many things to keep straight for me to think I'm working the gardening thing the way I want to -- companion planting, soil amendments, whether or not to use preparation 500, planting by the phases of the moon, whether the otherworldly appearance of brussels sprouts justifies giving them any garden space if everyone here hates them (can you shred them for cole slaw?). . .



But it looks right pretty from the proper point of view.
Posted by Picasa

Labels:

7 Comments:

At 7:12 AM, Blogger suzee said...

Doesn't it feel like perfect gardening weather this week? Can't wait to see how all those fall veggies do.

Got any free time tomorrow? The scrimmage is cancelled, so I won't see you there...tea?

 
At 8:00 AM, Blogger Charity said...

I'm so envious that you can be gardening! Our garden is all put to bed until May... It looks great! Do you use (or have you tried) square foot gardening?

 
At 8:04 AM, Blogger allisonmariecat said...

The last caption makes me think of a movie trailer... "Beneath the placidly beautiful garden, lurks the seedy underbelly..."

 
At 10:49 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Your babies are so beautiful. Including the scowling one. I love to see the little plants, but mine always curl up and die before they reach adulthood. Good thing my kids are hardier.

 
At 11:43 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Your last image looks like a miniature rainforest!

 
At 10:21 AM, Blogger Ruby Louise said...

I love the look on the Thing's face!! I have a postcard photo of my grandmother and her brother when they were 5 and 7. The look on my grandmother's face almost exactly matches the Thing's.

Congrats on the greenly growing garden! I don't see why you couldn't shred them and hide them in a lot of foods. OTOH, Brussels sprouts and a slingshot could make for a lot of fun!

 
At 8:07 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I like the last pic as well - beautiful shades of green. Hmmm, what things can I find to knit from those shades? :)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Web Site Counter
Online Colleges