Reading While Knitting

Nothing complicated; nothing too exciting, but yes, I do knit while I read. As well as during many other domestic activities.

Saturday, September 09, 2006

Third time's charm

Hey, this swatching thing? It works, it really works. (I'm going to ignore the corollary that washing and blocking a swatch would also yield valuable information for now.)

I absolutely lost any sense of knitterly responsibility, and am not knitting on anything I "should" be knitting. Thing 4's tank top? It's too cold for that. Cotton sweater 7/8ths done? It can wait a bit longer. ISE3 scarf? I haven't bought the yarn. But it's not too cold for cotton if it's going to be a wrap. See? Here's the Schaeffer yarn:

I was experimenting with different patterns from Barbara Walker's first Treasury. I love leafy lace, as the pattern near the cast-on edge shows. But as I knit it, I worried that the variegation of the yarn distracted from the pattern of the stitches, and the leaves were lost. I also didn't like the garter stitch edge as much as the stockinette edge.

So, I figured, more stockinette would solve my problems. Enter "Checkered Acre," from the same book. Stockinette in between was good. The rectangular pattern, however, seemed. . . static, somehow. Plus I screwed up.

It was right about then that I decided I needed to chart out the patterns in order to understand them. That helped. So did my new notebook of graph paper! I felt so very knitterly-experienced, when I really was forced into charting because of my ineptitude on the needles.

Ahem. I then tried "Openwork Diamonds." And I think we have a winner. A pattern I can manage to knit without screwing up constantly, nice purl side, and the diagonals lend a dash of movement and excitement while the stockinette shows off the gorgeous yarn. Going up a couple of needle sizes made the yo's a bit more lacey, also. I assume you all agree with me. If you don't, please don't tell me.

Oh, and Jacquie's stitch markers are gorgeous and helpful. Now, all I have to do is take some measurements, calculate what I want for the finished size (this has to be knit long side first, to orient the diamonds properly when worn, in my opinion) and decide what, if anything, to do about an edging now. How many miles of 3-stitch attached i-cord can one woman do without losing her marbles?

5 Comments:

At 3:56 PM, Blogger bfmomma said...

Oh, wow. You are SO beyond me. yikes! it's beautiful.

 
At 10:01 PM, Blogger Charity said...

Thanks for the link for the leggings! I'm thinking some of these would be great for Gwen this winter...

The Pirate Sweater is from Zoe Mellor's book, Adorable Knits for Tots. I think the largest size is what I'm making, 4-5 yrs, but its pretty basic. I like it because it's a happy skull and crossbones :0)

 
At 9:02 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

The diamonds are just right! I went through a very similar thought process with my Koigu yarn and my Barbara Walker Treasuries. I get choice paralysis whenever I start delving into those wondrous tomes though - it's a wonder I get anything done at all.

Glad the stitch markers are doing their job!

 
At 2:46 PM, Blogger allisonmariecat said...

Oh, I like the diamonds! Every time I swatch (this is rare), I'm struck by how useful the exercise is. You would think that I would take a message from this and begin swatching every time I prepare to knit. But...no.

 
At 1:26 PM, Blogger String Bean said...

Openwork Diamonds are a 'yes'. I can't wait to see more.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Web Site Counter
Online Colleges