Reading While Knitting

Nothing complicated; nothing too exciting, but yes, I do knit while I read. As well as during many other domestic activities.

Monday, March 31, 2008

Lessons Learning

Amazingly, when things are worked on, things get done.

You would think that a lesson like this might have sunk in, oh, at least 30-some years ago, but I continue to be delightfully surprised by its application. So even though I have at least 90 more rows to go before I can start seaming this puppy together, some progress is showing up on the Pearl Buck back. I did, however, discourage myself today when I thought, "Well, I'm able to finish about three or four rows a day, so that means. . . oh, shoot."


An acquaintance the other day said something about how teeny the needles were for this sweater. I don't spend a lot of time thinking about it. I love the fabric that smaller needles make, and while I'll wear (happily!) a sweater I knit on 8s, there's something just right about the drape of a 4 or 5 needle and yummy yarn. So what if I only finish one every birthday or so. Eventually I'll have the sweaters I love.

Until then, I could wear these items:


Bonus points if you recognize the quote on the tank top. Fortunately, my sister and I share the same sense of humor, apparently. She suggested that I could wear it while working out. And, along with that slow-on-the-uptake lesson at the start of this post? I've been making time downstairs to do my new workouts once I realized that regular sustained workouts might actually help me feel my best, not only now, but in the future.

A future which I devoutly hope will contain grandchildren. Grandchildren to dandle, to dance with, and to tell many, many, many outrageous stories to about their parent and their parent's siblings.

I can tell about the way they couldn't keep a toy made of small parts from rolling All Over The Floor Even When Warned To Keep Them In The Box:


Or how well they perfected the "My mother is a dork" smirk:


Or just how freaking cute they were at one point:


At that, I will encourage Thing 4 (in my fantasy, this is taking place at a large family gathering), to do the hula dance that she did for me tonight post-bath, clad in a wrapped-around, tucked-in towel.

5 Comments:

At 6:16 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh darn.
You mean that exercise stuff has to happen repeatedly? Like regularly???
sigh
You're right you know. But it eats my knitting time!
Grumble.
.
And I too prefer sweaters that came off of 4's and 6's. Though a nice hoodie from the 8's is also good (say... Rogue?)

 
At 7:00 AM, Blogger suzee said...

Oh, I like the DM hoodie even better!

Lovely photos, especially the just so sunny nature of the children and the setting around them.

 
At 9:13 AM, Blogger cpurl17 said...

Those Things are so beautiful, dorky mother and all.

 
At 12:26 PM, Blogger allisonmariecat said...

Such cute Things, even with the Mom-is-a-Dork look!

Ah, I try to never calculate how long it will take me based on x numbers of rows per hour, etc. It's usually discouraging. A friend loved a sweater I had made and wanted to pay for me to knit one for her. That sweater took me a month! I'd have to charge her thousands of dollars to make minimum wage! Anyway, just keep going on Pearl Buck. It will be lovely!

 
At 8:40 PM, Blogger Katherine said...

Love the Mom-is-a-dork smirk! I don't get the tank, but love the robe - I want that show back.

Every once in a while (like right now) I get the urge to knit something on 2s or 3s. Trouble is I like wearing those sweaters, but I love knitting on 7s and 8s.

{{sigh}}

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Web Site Counter
Online Colleges