Reading While Knitting

Nothing complicated; nothing too exciting, but yes, I do knit while I read. As well as during many other domestic activities.

Friday, July 18, 2008

Interval, shminterval

I insisted that we get up this morning and go do the rounds at the baseball field. It's not that this is enjoyable running, it's that this is just part of doing the whole "get healthy/live longer" thing.

Tell that to my chest, which decided that after the first sprint around the perimeter, that it was going to not expand enough to allow me to breathe enough. In fact, my body seemed to strongly suggest that lying face down on the wet grass would be preferable to continuing in an upright manner.

It didn't get easier, either.

Fortunately, after we stopped, so did the pain. I guess that's the blessing of the interval. Of course, it begs the question of why I'm not just hitting my feet with a hammer and then stopping. The pain/cessation cycle would be the same.

At least I haven't had as much kool-aid as Suzee has. No marathons, heck, not even a 5k race, call to me at all.

And, since I never ever post about what I'm reading, despite the title of this blog, I started Nic Sheff's Tweak last night. I had heard an interview with him and his dad about their books that had me in tears in the car, and had been wondering if I could handle this book. When I saw it on the new books shelf at the library, I figured, "What the heck!" So far, it's gripping and sad and worrisome and everything I thought it would be. I'm not sure that I can handle his dad's book, as I see myself much more on the parent end than the kid one these days -- it's a position I hope to never ever find myself in.

To the incredible relief of anyone who reads this, there's a camera on the way -- I have pictures of one finished thing I've done, one Eric has done, what I'm working on, and of course, the Energizer Bunny pumpkins!

Labels: ,

2 Comments:

At 12:56 PM, Blogger suzee said...

The rule: you should not feel like you're having a heart attack when you do speed work, OK? OTOH, it shouldn't be fun. It should suck, but not in a painful way.

But I have to ask - if you're not competing, why do it? (There is no, absolutely no snark in my voice...it's a genuine question.) Running slow is good for you, it burns more calories per mile than running fast, it makes your heart happy. The only reason to run fast is to train to run fast.

Fun to see you and cross paths with Ellen on Wednesday. Are you around this weekend at all for a longer chat?

 
At 2:11 PM, Blogger allisonmariecat said...

Well, I haven't looked into all the research, but I believe that hitting your feet with a hammer has few, if any, health benefits. So I'd say your choice of running instead is probably for the best :)

Since I feel like everything else in my life is difficult, I opt for easy reading most of the time, with an occasional dabble into serious literature (using bribes - okay, if you read this serious book, you can read the rest of that mystery series after!). But I always feel more...something...when reading the good stuff. More alive, connected, whatever. Kudos to you for tackling what sounds way beyond my capabilities right now.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Web Site Counter
Online Colleges