Reading While Knitting

Nothing complicated; nothing too exciting, but yes, I do knit while I read. As well as during many other domestic activities.

Wednesday, November 12, 2008

Old plumbing

No, not mine.

For a few years, now, I've felt badly that I couldn't get our commode really clean. We've been planning to replace it for some time, and this week it was finally time. We looked up how to qualify for the low-flow rebate, and headed off to find a new one.

But first -- to get the old one out. The rusty bolts holding the tank to the wall might have been a problem:


But they weren't; they were just funny-looking.

This made me feel a lot better about trying to scrub an 81-year old toilet bowl clean and failing spectacularly.


Even the floor bolts weren't pretty. They came loose easily, though, and now we have a new, clean, low-flow toilet. Of course, given the vagaries of our house, it's 6" away from the wall in back, and long enough that I can rest my forehead on the sink if I should feel the need.

I really didn't do anything except hang out and help a little bit during installation. It was all Eric. In my defense, it would have been a little difficult to fit us both in there in any active way, and I did replace my sister's toilet mostly alone. And I'll keep it clean.

9 Comments:

At 9:51 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh my god, you just gave me a much needed laugh.

 
At 10:15 PM, Blogger Susan said...

My god, your toilet survived the Great Depression,only to be brought low by the Global Financial Crisis of 2008. What times we live in. Actually, I think an autobiography of your toilet could be a good read. It certainly has an interesting perspective.

 
At 7:44 AM, Blogger Katherine said...

That cracked me up - What an odd title for a post, I thought. And the comments made me laugh all over again. Well, good for you for trying to keep an 81-year-old toilet clean. Yikes.

 
At 11:39 AM, Blogger Lara said...

I am thoroughly impressed by the age and experience of your toilet.

My parents replaced their 1985 vintage toilets this week. It makes me fear for my 1981 toilets.

 
At 1:59 PM, Blogger amanda j said...

They just don't make them like they used to. Thank goodness.

(The verification code I got is tridefit. Do you think this is a message?)

 
At 3:43 PM, Blogger Ruby Louise said...

There's a TV show called "If These Walls Could Talk" about older homes and their history. What we need now is the spin-off show "If These Fixtures Could Talk". As s pointed out, this fixture experienced the Great Depression, among other historic events. :-)

 
At 7:06 PM, Blogger bfmomma said...

Oh, I *totally* get your excitement! Ours wasn't THAT old, but ours was a strange orangey-pink color and it was also impossible to keep clean.

I love our new one. Is that really odd to say?

 
At 3:36 PM, Blogger suzee said...

Hee hee hee. You're funny.

Congrats on a toilet that has seen no butt but yours.

 
At 2:08 PM, Blogger allisonmariecat said...

Hee! I was thinking, huh, that's sort of TMI :) If that toilet could talk, think of the poop it could share! Seriously, I don't know what's wrong with me today. Should have left off commenting till I was caffeinated and Lilah was napping...

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Web Site Counter
Online Colleges