Reading While Knitting

Nothing complicated; nothing too exciting, but yes, I do knit while I read. As well as during many other domestic activities.

Tuesday, December 25, 2007

I can blog late on Christmas morning because something very strange is happening at my house. Every child is doing something fun, and quiet. Reading, playing a puzzle, jumping on a pogo stick, it's a Christmas Miracle!

[Oh, wait, a couple of them are erm, discussing whose candy is whose. That's what you get with chocolate for breakfast.]

I have been so spotty of blog of late and so -- scattered -- in general that I figured I'd just do lots of pictures. But then I started typing and. . . well, I get going. This has been the most difficult year I can remember in a long while. Nothing really terrible happened to me or mine, just lots of hard stuff right after another and I've been surprised at how much it took the wind out of my sails. So I hung on to what I could -- my family, some fiber, food and music, and I'm looking forward to the New Year.

Enjoy these promised pics, and I hope you and yours are healthy and happy, and you have much good to look at now as well as to look forward to.


Suzee was right -- we were in Tennessee. This tree came from my uncle's farm -- my kids helped cut it down -- and you can't pay for that kind of stuff. After the kids decorated, we hung out.
My mom took us to a an ice show at Opryland. It was cold enough to remind me why I don't live somewhere more northerly.

Thing 4 gave in to an impulse I completely understood:


In August, I thought I'd never see my father alive again. I was wrong. I'm very glad.


I finished my first round of 3-ply yarn. The brown is local Merino, the fawn black Bluefaced Leicester, and the white some Sheepshed mill ends, so there's some mohair.


My plying needs work.


Christmas joys involve lots of boinging around at our house.


Finally, while these are emphatically Not For Christmas, they're merely a Kitchener away from being done and on Thing 1's cold little feet. As I despise knitting socks, I'm pleased.


Merry, merry.

11 Comments:

At 9:52 PM, Blogger suzee said...

So much good stuff in one post. I'm glad for all the good. 2008 will be better. It really will.

I'm OFF until the 2nd, rehabbing the family room but otherwise around. [thumb and pinky spread from fist, held to ear] Call me.

 
At 11:20 PM, Blogger cpurl17 said...

I'm another one who will be glad to say Good bye to 2007! Looks like you had a great visit with your family and how wonderful that you were able to spend time with your father.

 
At 6:29 AM, Blogger Robin said...

Looks like a wonderful Christmas!! Thanks for the great pics - very touching!

 
At 1:18 PM, Blogger Kate said...

Merry Christmas! Nice kids! Nice socks!

May 2008 treat you gently and kindly.

 
At 11:49 AM, Blogger allisonmariecat said...

Merry Christmas! And a much better year coming up for you, I hope. Lovely socks, lovely family, and Thing 4 cracks me up!

 
At 7:18 PM, Blogger Ruby Louise said...

Merry Merry! Boing Boing! Great photos!!

I'm awful at plying. I get about 1/4 balanced yarn and the rest is either overplied or underplied or just plied unevenly. I know it'll get a whole lot better if I'd just practice and pay attention to what I'm doing, but by the time I get the singles spun, my attention has started to wander.

Cheers,
M

 
At 1:15 AM, Blogger amanda j said...

My plying gives me grief!

Sometimes we have years that are better left behind. Rest assured the New Year will bring different times.

 
At 4:40 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Great pictures of your holiday!

 
At 4:53 AM, Blogger Amy Scott said...

Beautiful yarn, beautifuller family. I do hope your new year is full of good stuff.

 
At 3:18 AM, Blogger Rain said...

Happy New Year. I hope next year is an easier one for you.

Sounds like you had a lovely Christmas. I love the pogo picture.

 
At 9:57 PM, Blogger meg said...

A guid New Year to ane an' a' and mony may ye see!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Web Site Counter
Online Colleges