Reading While Knitting

Nothing complicated; nothing too exciting, but yes, I do knit while I read. As well as during many other domestic activities.

Monday, January 07, 2008

This one goes "Sproing"

I learned something new the other night, and wanted to run around the street telling people about it.

Have you ever had the kind of experience when your brain goes, "Aha!" and it's just like getting that hard-to-reach itch properly scratched? Yep, that's what led me to graduate school. It's a terrific feeling. Unfortunately, graduate school offered few opportunities for scratches like that, so I turned to fiber instead.

After reading instructions and watching videos and thinking, "None of this makes any sense at all," my inner voice finally broke through and said, "Just try it." So I did. I Navajo plied.

About a half-bobbin of old koolaid-dyed singles hanging around presented the perfect subject. The wheel seemed too fast, so I used my top-hook drop spindle and the slower speed plus parking it made managing the loops much easier. As I wound the yarn on, I gave the little cop a feel (snort) and it was incredible! Soft, squishy, springy -- just such a pleasure to hand.


I can't wait to try it on some yarn with distinct color gradations. Maybe I'll have to dye some roving specifically for this.

And this way madness lies, you see. But man, is it fun.

8 Comments:

At 10:31 AM, Blogger Lara said...

Pretty!

I'm falling down the spinning rabbit hole. I've been playing around with my drop spindle for a couple months and my wheel should arrive at my house tomorrow. I'm sure I'll be doing plying experiments in no time. Hee.

 
At 1:56 PM, Blogger Robin said...

Looks great!

I totally know what you mean about something clicking and how good it feels. I just had that "aha moment" with sewing on my latest project.

Happy New Year!

 
At 4:31 PM, Blogger cpurl17 said...

Very pretty & smooshy looking!

I miss spinning. I don't have a wheel and am a little cash poor right now so maybe someday....

 
At 9:04 PM, Blogger suzee said...

Go YOU. That is just lovely, and I can imagine how lovely it feels.

 
At 10:20 PM, Blogger amanda j said...

It looks fantastic. I am waiting for that sort of moment with normal old two ply plying. Perhaps when it cools down here I will have another go!

 
At 8:11 AM, Blogger LICraftgal said...

Oh thats pretty!! I really must try to do that one day. I must admit I am a bit afraid to try that.

 
At 5:16 AM, Blogger Batty said...

That looks great! I have yet to successfully ply anything, Navajo or otherwise, but your yarn looks squishy and smooshy and soft.

 
At 2:42 PM, Blogger Terri said...

Your Navajo plying came out really, really well - great on you for having such an "aha" moment. Happy spinning!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Web Site Counter
Online Colleges